As per Wikepedia, "Pica is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., coal, soil, chalk, paper, soap, etc.)" Seriously. And you thought your mom cooked up some questionable meals as a kid growing up? For those of you interested in unnatural medical disorders (such as myself) you can read more about it here.
So why blog about a strange, slightly hilarious medical condition?
I think Sullivan has pica. Why do I think that? Particularly because Hubs and I spend the majority of our waking hours asking/shouting/muttering, "Sullivan, WHAT ARE YOU EATING?"
And more times than not, it is one or more of the following items:
- elastic hair ties
- toilet paper (preferably straight from the roll)
- bubble wrap
- underwear (direct from the laundry basket)
- Q-tips (only if they've been used and discarded in the trash bin, (ew gross!))
- UGGS (tall, chocolate please. the short sand ones don't taste as good)
- alcohol pads (that mom continually fails to remove from her scrub pockets after work!)
- dryer sheets
- shoelaces (only while being tied)
- sunglasses (forget the cheap ones left behind by somebody at a dinner party one night, mom's Von Zippers, straight from hawaii, taste the best)
- decorative wicker baskets (and whatever they contain)
- twist ties
- and cell phones (only when ringing)
So much for spending such an exorbitant amount of money on fancy, new fangled top-of-the-line dog toys. There's clearly plenty of fun and exciting (and cheap!) things to chew on around the house!