As each pregnancy comes and goes, I've come to realize there are a few staple items, no matter whether it's my first, second or third pregnancy, that I simply cannot live without. I'm still trying to get the hang of saying "third pregnancy," some days I still can't believe it!
Because I love these posts so much and am always looking toward other moms for advice on what has worked/not worked for them, I wanted to take a minute and quickly compile my list of 7 Pregnancy Must-Haves.
1. Bump Nest Body Pillow: If there is one "necessary pregnancy extra" that I recommend to all of my expecting girlfriends, it's a body pillow. With my first, I didn't start using one until the third trimester and looking back, I could have smacked myself for waiting that long. I cannot say enough things about how amazing the Bump Nest body pillow is. With each of my pregnancies, intense hip and lower back pain often keeps me from getting comfortable enough to sleep throughout the night. Rather than sleep with four or five additional pillows in the bed, the Bump Nest gives me the support and comfort that I need with just one additional pillow.
I didn't always own a Bump Nest pillow. During my first pregnancy I invested in another popular brand of maternity body pillow and let's just say it pales in comparison to the Bump Nest. The case was incredibly difficult to pull off and wash, the material wasn't the most comfortable to sleep on and after just one pregnancy, the pillow itself lost much of it's shape rendering it useless for a repeat pregnancy. The Bump Nest pillows come in a wide variety of beautiful patterns and they're made from the softest knit material. It literally feels like tiny little angel wings on my face.
Not to mention, you can't beat an adorable print! I love this maternity body pillow so much that I wake up excited to only get back to sleep later that night just so that I can sleep with this pillow. Don't forget that post-baby, you can continue to use this pillow for additional support while sitting, rocking and feeding baby. Many, many thanks to the folks at Bump Nest for gifting me with this incredible pregnancy must-have! Currently, code "CARROTTEN" will get you $10 off your order plus free shipping!
2. Infuser Water Bottle: I am a horrible water drinker. So horrible, in fact, that I can't drink just plain water. I often find myself dumping packet after packet of flavored drink mix into my water just to make it tolerable and we both know that's not exactly ideal during pregnancy. I very recently invested in one of these Infuser Water Bottles which allows me to add slices of fruit to my water to infuse it with flavor. I am obsessed and spend more time than I care to admit looking up different fruit-flavor combinations that I can add to my next bottle. My favorites so far? Lemon-mint, and strawberry-cucumber.
3. Layering Tanks: Pregnant or not, these are an absolute must-have in any wardrobe but if you invest in them early on in pregnancy, they really help you get the most out of your non-maternity tops. I've tried tons of different tanks tops in the past and my two current favorites are from Old Navy and the PureBody layering tanks from the GAP. Each of these tanks are a great long length and really hold up well to multiple wears, washes (and pregnancies!) You can't beat that.
4. Quality Maternity Jeans: If there's one staple maternity wardrobe piece that I recommend investing money in, it's maternity denim. Not every pair has to be pricey but believe me, nothing will make you feel better about your expanding nether regions than a great pair of maternity jeans. Over the last four years, I've managed to accumulate more pairs than I care to admit and some of my favorites have come from Mavi, Citizens of Humanity and good ol' Old Navy.
5. Gummy Prenatal Vitamins with DHA: During my first pregnancy, I was choking back these horse-pill-sized prenatal vitamins from my doctor's office. Not only were they enormous but they also had this vanilla-flavored coating which made my already sensitive gag reflex extra gag-y. And then there was an additional DHA supplement that I had to take. I mean, for something that a pregnant woman has to take every day that's vital to a healthy pregnancy, wouldn't pharmaceutical companies try their hardest to make them as small and as palatable as possible? It wasn't until I was pregnant with my second that I found these gummy prenatal vitamins with DHA. They're sweet like candy and chewy, making them incredibly easy to get down, even first thing in the morning.
6. Ginger candies and/or mints: If there was one thing that I found helpful with my constant nausea, it was sucking on some type of ginger candy or mint throughout the day. Although I never threw up much with my pregnancies, weeks six through sixteen were often filled with constant lingering nausea that just wouldn't quit. Wint-o-green lifesavers and Altoid ginger mints were a saving grace for me during these weeks! I also found that sometimes chewing on fruity gummy candy (like sour patch kids or Starbursts) also helped!
7. Humorous Yet Relate-able Reading Material: The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy was one of my favorite books to read during my first pregnancy. Filled with just the right amount of humor and advice, it was the perfect balance for this first-time Mom. It's no secret that some of the reading material out there than be a little literal (and frightening!) and there's no need for that. There's enough to worry about during pregnancy- your reading material shouldn't amplify those worries!