Growing up, Friday nights were always special in our house. They not only marked the end of a busy week but we were guaranteed pizza for dinner and what kid doesn't love pizza? My love for pizza has morphed over the years from plain and simple to semi-gourmet and although we don't always reserve a special night for pizza in our house these days, it's definitely something we make at least once a week!
I wanted to pop in and share three simple and easy recipes for homemade pizzas that are sure to be a hit in any household. Pardon the iPhone photos, I hadn't planned on sharing these recipes on the blog but I've gotten lots of recipe requests from sharing them on Instagram!
For each of these pizzas, I use either white or whole wheat pizza dough bought fresh by the pound from my local grocer. I typically buy five or six pounds at a time and freeze them in 1lb. dough portions. Be sure to wait for dough to come to room temperature before rolling.
First up, Potato, Bacon and Havarti Pizza:
Ingredients: 1lb. pizza dough, 2 small red potatoes, Havarti cheese, 3 slices of uncooked bacon, 2 leeks (or scallions), kosher salt and pepper (to taste).
- Start by rolling out your dough. I find that using corn meal instead of flour keeps it from being too sticky.
- Once your dough is rolled, put down a layer of either sliced or shredded Havarti cheese. I'm a cheese-lover so I tend to err on the side of more is better. For this pizza I used 10 thin slices of Havarti from the deli.
- Next, layer with thinly sliced red potatoes.
- Slice your 3 strips of bacon into 1/2 pieces and toss on top.
- Chop your leeks and add them as the final layer.
Bake at 475* for 20 minutes.
Next, Spinach, Artichoke and Bacon Pizza:
Ingredients: 1lb. pizza dough, 2 cans marinated artichoke hearts in quarters, 3 slices of uncooked bacon, 2 cups baby spinach, 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese, whipped cream cheese (about 4-5 ounces), 1/2 cup grated Parmesean and kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Start by rolling out your dough. Use cornmeal to keep it from sticking.
- Spread cream cheese over dough and top with artichoke hearts, spinach, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut your bacon into 1/2inch slices and place atop your pizza.
Bake at 475* for 18-20 minutes.
Lastly, Buffalo Chicken Pizza:
Ingredients: 1lb pizza dough, 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar, 1 cup wing sauce, garlic salt, pepper and chili powder (1/4 tsp each), 1 rotisserie chicken with the meat plucked.
- Start by rolling our your dough. Use corn meal to keep it from sticking.
- Bake your dough at 400* for 7 minutes. Once done, pull from oven and brush with wing sauce. Put down half the amount of cheeses you've set aside for the recipe.
- In a mixing bowl, toss your plucked chicken with garlic salt, chili powder and pepper. Add in your 1 cup of wing sauce. Toss until thoroughly covered.
- Add your chicken to your pizza and top with remaining cheese.
Bake at 400* for 15-18 minutes.
Although edited, original recipes for Potato, Bacon and Havarti Pizza as well as the Spinach, Artichoke and Bacon Pizza can be found on RealSimple.com. Buffalo Chicken Pizza recipe originated on Taste of Home.